As an aesthetics clinic, we specialise in your skin – and want to help you look and feel both healthy and confident. Today, our York skin clinic is focusing on hyperpigmentation – so if you’re concerned about the condition, you’ve come to the right place. Read on to find out more about this skin complaint, from types to treatments, and the many causes behind it.
What is hyperpigmentation?
It’s a skin concern where increased melanin, the substance that gives skin its unique pigmentation, develops. It can affect anything from small areas of the body to the entire body.
What typesof hyperpigmentation are there?
There are quite a few:
- Sunspots, also called solar lentigines and liver spots, are one of the most common types. These are usually flat, brown and pale. They’re similar to freckles.
- Melasma, commonly called a ‘pregnancy mask’, typically presents as blue-grey or brown patches on the face.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, another common type, is a darkening of the skin.
What causes hyperpigmentation?
The various types have different causes:
- Sunspots are caused by sun exposure, where UV rays have increased the production of melanin in the skin. Those with fairer skin are more at risk.
- Melasma often presents during pregnancy, hence the name. But, UV light from the sun can also be a cause.
- Finally, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is caused by injury or trauma to the skin. A common cause is acne.
What hyperpigmentation treatments are there?
There are three main treatments for hyperpigmentation, offered here at our York aesthetics clinic.
- AlumierMD peels also called chemical peels, which work to resurface the skin and exfoliate the outer layers to reveal the newer, younger skin beneath. Chemical peels can also rejuvenate the skin by encouraging new collagen and elastin production. These are key proteins that help skin stay strong, elastic and moisturised.
- HyrdraFacial treatment is a treatment that uses patented technology to detox, cleanse and hydrate the skin. The system helps to eliminate toxins, exfoliate the skin and remove debris from the pores through gentle suction. Finally, a super serum nourishes and moisturises.
- Skincare targets your concerns and helps to create a truly tailored treatment approach.
It’s possible our experts might also suggest a combination of treatments for optimum results.
How do I get hyperpigmentation treatment?
Our experts await at our York aesthetics clinic. Simply contact us, and we’ll arrange a skin consultation to talk you through your options and determine the best treatments for you. Then, we’ll arrange your appointment and start you on your journey to healthy, confident skin.